Tuesday, July 19, 2011

attraction/aversion

if this is jewelery artist kerry howley's goal with this collection, she has completely succeeded with me!

Attraction/Aversion is a material exploration of how people can feel seemingly opposing emotional responses simultaneously. The necklaces are made of human hair, a familiar material that we take pride in. However once off of the body hair becomes an innate source of aversion.

because they are truly beautiful pieces, but... ew!!




i'm trying to get over the creepiness and wondering why i find it so creepy. it's something about all the straggly, whispy bits of hair. they remind me of a wad of hair i might find in a shower drain, only beautifully designed.

also, i have no idea how she actually made the hair stay in these shapes.

3 comments:

Kirsch said...

Odd. On Friday night dinnerI was sitting next to my cousin's girlfriend. There was a hair of hers on her plate. I took it, obviously without touching the food as it was very long, and showed it to her.

She was disgusted and said loudly "Eeeww!". "But it's yours!" I pointed out. "I know!" she said.

I thought it was odd that she reacted that way to her own hair that fell off just a minute earlier. I don't think I get that reaction from hair, attached or otherwise.

heroineworshipper said...

There must be a marriage tax benefit to be gained by a heroine putting hair on her chest.

TallTchr said...

I think this is a brilliant insight. Of course, people sometimes treasure locks of hair from a loved one, although I'm not sure this practice is as common as it once was. Our responses to human bodies, our own and others', are very complicated. Think about sweat--disgusting except when it's sexy.